Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 May 2020

It's Time for the Chelsea Chop



 I thought it might be useful to mention one of the most important things to remember when it is Chelsea week is it's time for the Chelsea chop.


There always seems to be a bit of controversy over how much you can chop your perennials back to stop them getting leggy and to encourage a better flush of flowers on a stronger plant.

I feel you have options. Some plants I would chop back more than others knowing from memory which get too tall too quickly.

I like to chop the front half of the plant that flop onto the lawn of my nepeta that edges Part of the garden. The front then is strong and study and supports with a later flush of flower.

Salvia nemorosa I like to take some of the early flowering stems back to encourage multiple later ones.

Anything that looks like it may get a bit tall will have a little chop now. Sedums particularly. I you have enough of one plant in a bed you may afford to chop some really low and enjoy them early and some staggered flowering late summer. Over time we all learn what works best in our own garden.