Search This Blog

Monday 27 September 2021

Cercis canadensis 'Eternal Flame' The Chelsea 2021 Show Winner

 

I have watched and really enjoyed all the Chelsea coverage ending with last nights highlights, so I thought it totally appropriate to add one more picture post of the show winning plant. This is Cercis canadensis 'Eternal Flame'. It is such a pretty, hardy tree. A few arrived here on the nursery a few weeks ago and it's been admired and all but one bough very quickly! I was delighted it won. It is so autumnal and appropriate for this years unique show.
Cercis can. Eternal Flame was introduced at BBC Gardeners’ World Spring Fair 2021. It has exquisite foliage which can in autumn show all tones through yellow to orange and red all a once hence the name. A hardy smallish tree -3-4m which one establish has dark pink flowers through April to May.


It was great to see so many late summer perennials taking center stage this September and such naturalistic planting. Never did we think a Chelsea Flower Show would be admiring perennials like persicaria, Japanese anemones, rudbeckia, echinacea, Erigeron karvinskianus (fleabane,) and did you see how many gardens had tall blue Salivia uliginosa. The swathes of grasses looked spectacular. I think the gardens were a beautiful reflection of the autumnal season and a great illustration of how much colour we have through autumn. Perhaps we could have a winter Chelsea sometime!
I would love to have had a go in the Yeo Valley egg seat that lifts up on a chain suspending you above the garden and I do hope we can find some root like wooden containers that were planted in the Stolen Soul garden because I want one. Did you see the amazing oak wavy fence in the Secret Garden? The tranquillity use of water was just lovely in so many gardens. I could not have judged these gardens though I may just have been swayed by my weakness for silver birch particularly under planted split bark trees.
I think they pulled it off really well.