Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 April 2023

Spring Blossom Opening Now

Exochordia Blossom
 






One of my all time favourite spring shrubs. is Exochordia. This is 'The Bride'. It had six weeks of fresh white blossom last year. It's my view from my kitchen window and I love it. It follows my Daphne odora 'Marginata' and it's Sweet scented blossom and it precedes my David Austin Munstead Wood shrub roses.



The blossom over laps with the amazing Amelanchier lamarckii tree of which I have indulging to the tune of 5 spread about my large garden.
Amelanchier is probably one of the very best choices of small tree. It has spring and autumn fruits and colour interest.
Amelanchier is the tree to plant if you are in any doubt as to what will provide enough interest particularly in a small garden or space.




The flowers are not as showy as some of the more intricate prunus blossom in its varied forms but it is on mass. Its a great tree on the heavy clay we have here in Buckingham. 










Prunus and cherry blossom are the spring delight. There are so many beautiful blossoms in this large family of plums, cherries, peaches, nectarines, apricots, and almonds. Below are a few snaps of early blossom from this week.

Prunus Frilly Frock


Prunus Glandulosa Alba Plena

Prunus persica Melred just opening.

Prunus persica Melred
 Enjoy the spring prunus now but consider planting some Malus as the the blossom is equally pretty and precedes the prunus giving you a continuation of spring blossom.