Search This Blog

Saturday 22 June 2019

Our New Vegetable Garden


This was our project this year a veg garden. 5 raised beds and room to plant some fruit. Its is not quiet finished yet. We need the wacker plate and the gravel but its planted. Leafy veg and beans mainly. Here the first look.

 I am living on chard, pak choi, which I have discovered I love and spinach. I just steam them in a pan with a bit of butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Cooks quicker than peas! We haven't grown peas but we have got a bit of mange tout, which I need for a pad thai receipe.

We went mad planting lettuce but I am not prepared to pay for an expensive supermarket bags of leaves when they are so easy to cut an come again. I also included my basil and coriander a bit of lemon grass and dill so important for summer flavour.
We are growing what we like and not what we can. I am not doing potatoes is so much easier to buy a cheap bag from a grower and use the space for more expensive crops. So we have some fennel bulbs and sweetcorn. Peter has his beloved beetroot a massively under valued vegetable, try it roasted! 

You wont see my tomatoes. I have Sun Gold and Roma growing in a polly tunnel with my Apache peppers and cucumber. You will spot my corgette we are trialing in a container along with one in the border  I may try growing up a cain as sugested in the RHS Grden magazine this month to save space. I don't care what you say you can not have enough corgette and they need tons of water and feed to see how long we can keep the producing before they are exausted And we see powdery mildew, marking the end.

Our daughter is a scientist and Human Nutrition is her subject and what she has impressed on her parents is eat more veg and fibre and there is no such thing as a super food, its marketing hype. All the good stuff is in the ordinary veg. So advice in hand, we do listen Hebe! This is what we aim to do. Eat our variety of veg and hopefully when the fruit gets established we will have lots of berries in different colours. Tayberry, blackberry, raspberry, gooseberry and choke berry for starters but we have room fo more and a couple of pear trees to make an arch way at the top into te orchard area.


  

  






I didn't plant this one!